S P Jain’s pageant proves you can have beauty and brains
By Christine Laifa, photos courtesy of S P Jain
Students from across Singapore polished their public speaking skills and shined their shoes for the Proud To Be Me pageant, where two Youth Icons were chosen for this inaugural competition.
Out of 26 total contestants, Gayatri Bhatia and Jaiveer Khunara, both from the S P Jain School of Global Management, bagged top honours as Youth Icons 2012. Intelligence, elegance, fashion sense, wit, humour and spontaneity were all part of the judges’ criteria for three rounds of challenges. (For a full list of winners, please see below).
Sophielle, a local fashion label described as elegant, sophisticated and edgy, sponsored apparel for the woman’s final round and chose one female student for the Ms. Sophielle award. Embodying all characteristics of the label, Kanupriya Asthana from California State University, Long Beach, Singapore was awarded the title.
While many students showed a level of poise and stage presence, some it seemed, forgot to watch the YouTube tutorial on “How to win a pageant.” Here are our tips straight from one of the judges – our very own Kelly Morse from Campus Magazine.
1. Wear white ankle socks with black dress pants. Really?!
2. Go on stage with clothes you haven’t ironed. At least take out the hanger marks behind your knees, guys!
3. Force a Cheshire cat grin the whole time – you’ll regret it when you see pictures the next day!
1. Prepare for the question portion in advance if you have the chance to. And nowhere in your entire time on stage should you mention Nazi jokes or abortions, seriously. No Nazi jokes or abortions. Got it?
2. Practice your walk and posture. Draw your shoulders back, and tuck in your lower back and pelvis. Feel the tightening of your stomach muscles as you do so. If you’re lucky, you might even glimpse a hint of some abs.
3. Choose an outfit that compliments your personality and body shape -something that you don’t have to adjust the whole time. Embrace your strengths, and enjoy your moment in the spotlight, you superstar!
FULL LIST OF WINNERS