Have you ever wondered how to study smarter?
The majority of students study by re-reading notes and textbooks, but based on research by psychologists, both in lab experiments and of actual students in classes, this is a terrible way to learn material. Using active learning strategies — like flashcards, diagramming, and quizzing yourself — is much more effective, as is spacing out studying over time and mixing different topics together.
Here are some simple rules for those preparing for exams:
1) Don’t just re-read your notes and readings
2) Ask yourself a lot of questions
3) Connect new information to something you already know
4) Draw out the information into visual form
5) Use flashcards
6) Don’t cram – space out your studying
7) Recreate your exam surroundings
8) Teach your fellow classmates (because regurgitating information actually helps you retain it for longer)